Elsing or 'Helsinga' as it was then called appears in the Domesday Book. The entry reads 'Wymer from William de Warenne, 2 mills, church, 12 beehives, 10 cattle'.
The village has expanded and contracted over the last 1000 years or so and currently has a population of approximately 250.
The village is named after a Danish chieftain 'Elesa' pictured on the village sign with his hunting hound
Aerial view of the village, St. Mary's Church
and Elsing Village Hall (bottom right)
There are several historical buildings in the village. Elsing's Church of St. Mary was built in 1347 during the reign of Edward III, whilst the old village pub, The Mermaid Inn (which is unfortunately now closed) was built circa 1540 during the reign of King Henry VIII.
St. Mary's Church, Elsing
The Mermaid Inn, sadly now closed
Elsing Hall, the moated Manor House was built in 1470 during the reign of Edward IV - the first 'Yorkist' King during the Wars of the Roses.
Modern day Elsing is a friendly 'quiet' village, on the Wensum Way where there is still time to feed apples to the pigs on the allotments, fish at the lakes and enjoy the beauty of our little rural village.
We hold Village Fetes, Duck Races and Village Open days and even find time to go a Wassailing!
The Village Hall is an ideal venue to hire as a place to meet up for classes and clubs, enjoy music or just relax with a cup of tea and spend some time with others.