Elsing or 'Helsinga' as it was then called appears in the Domesday Book.
The entry reads 'Wymer from William de Warenne, 2 mills, church, 12 beehives, 10 cattle'.
The village has expanded and contracted over the last 1000 years or so and currently has a population of approximately 250.
There are several historical buildings in the village. Elsing's Church of St. Mary was built in 1347 during the reign of Edward the Third, whilst the village pub The Mermaid Inn was built circa 1540 during the reign of King Henry the 8th. Elsing Hall our Moated Manor House was built in 1470 during the reign of Edward the Fourth, the first 'Yorkist' King during the "Wars of the Roses.'
Modern day Elsing is a friendly 'quiet' village, on the Wensum Way where there is still time to feed apples to the pigs on the allotments, fish and enjoy a pint at the pub. We hold Village Fetes, Duck Races and Village Open days and even find time to go a Wassailing! The Village Hall is a place to meet up for 'Keep fit' and Painting classes, enjoy Folk music and Ceilidhs or just enjoy some time to have a cup of tea and be with other people.